10/4/10

Aldous' Birthday!, Recipe for Crack Chicken, and How I Made Skull Gummis.

Yeah, my September-born Aldous had a Halloween themed party. Two reasons for this, really. I don't like dragging out a lot of stuff to decorate (Halloween birthday in September easily morphs into Thanksgiving by November), and I wanted to make skull gummis in mass quantities and make sure people got to see them in person.


As anyone knows, parties are about the food. I made Applesauce Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting, and decorated them by drawing on a glittery black spider web and topping with an orange gummi skull. It totally makes sense to top a spider web with a gigantic gelatinous skull, right? Especially a GLITTERY spider web!
I bought that cupcake stand. It's just cardboard, but it was coated with something that made is shiny. All the rest of the decorations came from The Dollar Tree.


I made little pizzas (biscuits made with olive oil and garlic, pasta sauce, fresh mozzarella), and Crack Chicken. This was not the original name of the chicken, but my friends decided it was as addictive as crack. Less stigma, tho, so make some today!

Crack Chicken Recipe, from here.

Ingredients:
6 oz. can (3 cups) French Fried Onions
1/4 cup flour
2 lbs. chicken tenders
2 eggs, beaten

Directions:
CRUSH French Fried Onions with flour in plastic bag.
DIP chicken tenders into egg; coat in onion crumbs.
BAKE 15 min. at 400°F until chicken is cooked.

I also served strawberries, cheese cubes, carrots and celery and two kinds of hummus.

The party. William answered the door and welcomed people by saying "We've got a party in here!"

Singing Happy Birthday!


The party was a big hit. We all ate a lot of chicken and cupcakes. After a brief rest, the boys had Happy Meals for dinner. Aldous continued celebrating by wearing his box as a hat.


here's how to make the gummis. I doubled up, so the amount probably seems excessive, but it makes plenty.I prefer making a lot of stuff all at once.

Put 2 packets of gelatin (.5 oz each) and two packets of flavored gelatin, plus 2/3c of water in a pan and let sit 10m.

Kinda weird and gross, huh?

Pour into the molds. I have these ice cube trays I got from the dollar tree. It makes decent sized gummis. Let them sit for about an hour before trying to peel them out. One tip I read after it was too late is too dust the backs of these with cornstarch so they won't stick to the plate or each other. I didn't do this, but I will next time.                                 





Here's a close up of my first "good" skull. My first one got mangled because I hadn't let it sit long enough.

Here they all are. They really need to sit out to get decently firm.

Give it a try! Anyone can make these! here are the first ones I made.

1 comment:

xtene said...

if it was possible for me to now be MORE sorry that i was sick in bed all day and missed this, this pushes it over the edge!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails