10/3/10

More Vintage McCall's Goodness!

I have a whole lot of these "made expressly for POST cereals" patterns: A-F, then J. I wonder how many there are, and how hard it would be to find them all, and in my size?? I feel a challenge coming on!! I actually did a quick search, but only found them for sale here and there, but no info about them. How were these offered, and what's the connection with the cereal?



Anyway, these are look to be very easy-to-sew patterns, and several are the "pounds thinner" patterns, too.

This particular one, from 1971, looks pretty easy. The tunic length of the blouse is nice, and really, View A blouse made with the long sleeves and from a batiste, lawn or voile would be so pretty for summer!

I really like how on older patterns, the drawing of the shape of the pattern pieces is on the outside of the envelope. These days, I always have to take the instructions out and open them up to see how the pieces are drafted. This is important because once you know which shape of sleeve of pants or bodice is flattering to you, or more easily modified for your figure, you want to be able to see it before you buy it!


pattern B in the Post collection has one of those white panel bowling dresses! Just like the ones I showed in my last vintage pattern post! I like View A better actually, with those offset buttons and slit. I like the sleeveless version, tho, and would probably just face the neckline rather than make that collar.

Both dresses zip up the back, and this looks like it would be flattering and easy to sew. Having all of those curved panels really emphasizes a smaller waist, or gives the illusion of one, if you can keep the hip area of the dress from hanging from/touching your actual hips.

This pattern, from 1971, is TOO simple, in my opinion. I'm not sure what makes it a "pounds thinner" because this is so simply constructed, it's more likely to do just hang from your shoulders. neat fabric and trim on this could fix IT up, but I wouldn't count on it doing much for your figure.

Also, if you have a small waist in proportion to your hips, don't make these pants. They have an elasticized waist.

This is sort of "fancy" for one of these post cereal patterns: It has some kind of braid, and the other has BUTTONS!! and a big pleat in the front! It's pretty conservative-looking and I doubt I would wear anything like it. this is from 1971, too.

From the back, this almost looks like a coat!




Pattern E in this collection, is another pounds thinner pattern. It looks a bit like a skating dress!

I do like the contrast trim, tho. The neckline details on View B are the best, and they look pretty easy. I can see View B in a tiny print with that neck detail but with the longer sleeves (they could use a more feminine flaring, tho, in my opinion) and View A with short sleeves with that contrast trim in a brocade OR a mod print.

This is a "pounds thinner pattern", ok, so um, maybe we don't need that slit up the front? I totally wouldn't want my fat knees showing!  Check out View A with that lace-up front!! This is from 1971. I really like these, otherwise. The collar on View B is great.

Another thing I like is the dart placement on the front and back. I could live without those lame sleeves, tho.

I'm not sure about this one. I think the neckline is WAY too modest and would change it. I also, again, don't like the sleeves. I mean, can you imagine this close-fitting of a sleeve on a Size 16 arm?? I would prefer to not. c. 1970


The seaming is kinda cool, although I suspect it would not look that great on a low bust. The pants aren't too bad: lots of darts all around and side zip. They are nearly straight from the hip, so they oughta look good on any size.


This one is way cool. From 1969, obviously pre-super-straight-ugly sleeve. Although, these puffy cuffed sleeves could be a bit silly, too, but at least they are more kind to a Size 16 (or, Size 14, in this case) arm.
Check out those SHOES!!!! According to this pattern, it's a "Step by Step" pattern. What does that mean? The other patterns present the sewing instructions out of order?


the neckline is still a bit modest, but it's ok on Views B and C.  Forget about View A. Meh. I LOVE the gathering at the bust and that center seam on the bodice. It has a center back zipper.


These are FANCY!! from 1955. I can't even imagine where one would wear this? Teaching? Church? who knows....


I do like a shirt dress, tho. I wonder if I make this in my size if my breasts and hips would also be this pointy and angular? Did you notice View B's waist? holy crap!!


Prom queen?? Not sure...but why ELSE would you wear gloves with THIS dress? Or, maybe this is a housekeeping dress? but...she's got a tiny purse. Am I the only one who thinks these dresses look WAY too casual to warrant the hair, gloves, and jewelry shown with it? Back in 1965, this was how they rolled.

Looks simple enough, but it oughta be, if you're wearing it to clean your house.

These are sort of better. The shape is nice, but those fabrics are dreadful. I would totally leave off the pockets. Why are those there anyway, on a fancy dress? That's just funny!!

What I love: the way the back bodice wraps around to shape the sides. That's pretty darn neat. The stole is neat, but i can't imagine needing a sewing pattern for that. This design is by Pauline Trigere. Read about her here, on Wikipedia, the source for all contemporary knowledge. (giggle)



More fancy dresses! These are slim sheaths with a neat neckline. I love the jacket!! It's so simple! I may actually make this one (just the jacket). Again with the gloves.


This is not a deep V on the back, just on the front. I like these lengths, too. I would make this if I ever went anywhere. *hint, hint* This is from 1965

These are so cute!!View A is so sexy with that sheer top and under-bodice! And these all have my FAV: the raglan sleeve! I love the raglan sleeve!!! And, the two-piece rolled collar on View B is EXCELLENT!!.
These dresses have the elegant look of a shirt dress with super-feminine details.

I can't get over the shape of some of these vintage pattern piece.Check out the pieces for the sleeve on view B. Granted, this makes for a fabulous fit, and offers many opportunities for top-stitching, but it's a lot different than the simplified (and simple-looking) patterns available now. From 1966

These are just so pretty. A bit too young for me, unless I used a more somber fabric, but I just love them. From 1967, and a size 11 (bust 31 1/2)

Check out the shape of the main pattern piece. Even with the details and top-stitching, this wouldn't take long to sew up. Very cute!!

Remember, there are lots of places you can find vintage sewing patterns. My favs are etsy and eBay, but there are some websites that sell only vintage patterns. And, if you need help finding one, let me know! I'll be happy to help out!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

These are all so cool! I'm jealous of your vintage pattern collection. ;)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You found all of these kewl patterns on etsy and ebay?! Wow! I really like the ones with Post Cereal on the top! Tres kewl!

Jacki said...

Actually, Carolyn, my sister happened across a 200+ vintage pattern collection, all uncut and most in perfect condition, and gave them to me. I have filled in the gaps in my collection of 300+ patterns with purchases from eBay, etsy, and lanetzliving.

Mrs. Bianca said...

I love dresses and these are divine! Have you seen vintage maternity dress patterns?

Oldpatterns said...

Here is a link to images of all of the Post Cereal Patterns that I know of http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Post_Cereal

Anonymous said...

take a look at the site here check this over at this website get more Learn More Dolabuy Chloe

Anonymous said...

More Help like it that site find out here find more visit our website

Unknown said...

7a replica bags meaning navigate to this website p4z02h6g84 replica bags paypal accepted replica goyard bags replica gucci handbags u3b46e0w46 replica bags gucci Your Domain Name m2q59x3k65 high replica bags replica nappy bags n2j45b1m77

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails