7/9/09

Hail Dinner, Diapers, and Naked Shoe Wearing.

Or, hail, dinner, diapers, and naked shoe wearing.
:)

We took a trip to the zoo yesterday. It was 2 gazillion degrees, or maybe 100, but in any case on our way home from the train station we encountered a very disoriented elderly woman who was looking for the parking garage she had left her car in. She couldn't remember any of her surroundings but was SURE it wasn't in the one in the West Village shopping center (where I found her?) so I helped her across the street. No matter how many times I asked her if anything looked familiar, she wouldn't answer. She summarily dismissed me and marched away to what I think is surely the wrong parking area. *sigh* So, worried for her in the extreme heat, I flagged down a passing cop who assured me he would get her and have the security guards run the tape from the garages to see where she belonged.

Thank heavens...so we went home...it was a weird day that started with a bizarre train trip where a young, very ordinary-looking couple got in a lengthy and absurd fight that was so surreal it had to be staged. Halfway thru it, she whips out a snack, and he says "so now you're going to eat in front of me, when YOU KNOW I haven't eaten all day" and she says "WHY haven't you eaten? Are fasting, AGAIN?"
William was so disturbed by all of this shouting that he retreated to his stroller and pulled the canopy down. Total craziness!!!

When we got home it was most certainly sweltering and sunny. Within minutes it started raining, but the sun was mostly still out.



and it made hail, like this!! These are the size of a quarter in diameter, but flattened. Weird.



I bought some lobster tails at Newflower, my favorite store. (in other states, this store is called Sunflower). I contemplated a fancy recipe for these, but in the end, just broiled them. Why gild the lily?

From Shakespeare's King John, 1595:
SALISBURY:
Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
To guard a title that was rich before,
To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.



and being possessed as I am with double pomp, I made roasted vegetables. Doug is picky, so I used only potato, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms, onion and garlic, and a few sprigs of rosemary. However, b/c I love COLOR in my roasted veg, I used red potato and onion, a red carrot, a white carrot, green, orange and white cauli. I tossed all of this in olive oil and salt and pepper, and roasted until nearly burned. That's my recipe.


William really should have been wearing his apron. Our roasted veg had a lot more garlic than usual b/c William added a bit more.


The diaper tale.
I made a truck load of diapers for a woman who washed them in Dreft. They are now shreds. I do offer a warranty of one year on velcro, sewing, and elastic, but b/c I did not specifically say do not use dreft I am now making a second truckload of diapers, for the cost of materials. Oh, JOY!!!
Here are the four I have finished.


William has been naked a lot lately. I am hoping to potty train him soon. *sigh* God help me.
Anyway, he found my pretty shoes by the door and clopped around in them a bit. So pretty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails