7/16/09

Fuffins!!!, Blueberry Muffins

Fuffins!!!
It's July and blueberries are in abundance!!

I picked up a bunch of them on my last grocery trip. This morning, after narrowly escaping death, William helped me bake some blueberry muffins, which he adorably calls "fuffins!!"

I was thinking today about how I shop and organize my kitchen. I keep a small dry erase board on my fridge, and I have a goal to keep basic baking necessities on hand at all times. The minute something looks low, I write it down, and replace it immediately. That way, baking isn't a huge chore requiring a lot of forethought and planning, and doesn't require any special trips to the store. Things I just always have are flour, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, milk, butter in sticks, vanilla, powdered sugar, raisins, rolled oats, peanut butter,baking powder and soda, and cornmeal.

William is currently making this face EVERY time I take his picture. He scrunches all up and says "cheese" which is sort of cute, but mostly annoying.


The muffins in the oven....we can hardly wait. I set the time for shortest time, but when it went off they weren't done. William collapsed on the floor in front of the oven, sobbing in despair.

These overflow and are very sticky, so I use the old ugly muffin tins for these. These are oddly sized, I think, because while they are bigger than the regular muffins tins I use for cupcakes, they are smaller than the jumbo "Texas-sized" ones...so??



Finally finished! oh, YUM!! These have a topping of brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon. Because my spice grinder has broken, I had no ground cinnamon (but plenty of sticks!!) but it really didn't matter!


Here's the inside, delicious! We used double the amount of blueberries that the recipe calls for since they are in abundance.


William saying cheese again. *sigh* HOW LONG DOES THIS PHASE LAST?????


Enjoying the fuffins!




Aldous enjoyed sharing a muffin with me and was pretty sad when it was gone.


Blueberry Muffins

Preheat oven to 400. Makes 6 jumbo, 8 or 9 regular.

1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1/2t salt
2t baking powder
1/3c oil
1 egg
1/3c milk
1c blueberries

Combine dry ingredients. Place egg and oil in a measuring cup, then add milk until the whole mixture equals one cup. Whisk w/a fork and stir into flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
Fill muffin tins sections to the top, the sprinkle w/ topping mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes.

Topping
1/2 c brown sugar (or white)
1/3c flour
1/4 c butter in cubes
1 1/2 t cinnamon

cut together w/a fork or pastry blender.

Hints: you can add vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg or cinnamon to the muffin batter (but not ALL of those at once) Today's had nutmeg and cardamom.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

William's "cheese" face is freaking hilarious! Love it!

And good work on the leaf blowers! It truly is a Christmas miracle. ;)

Helen said...

Good job with the leaf blowers!
Those muffins look sooo good. Yum

Mrs. Bianca said...

I should've helped you to translate the sign in Spanish, this is assuming, of course, that the workers speak it and not another foreign language.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails