6/10/10

Vintage Vogues: 8124 and 7929 Fitted long blouse and KNICKERS!!! (not the underpants kind)


Some more goodies from my the treasure my sister gave me. I especially love the Vogue and Butterick!


Both of these Vogue patterns are from the 60s, but since Vogue didn't date their patterns, I can only approximate the decade. FRUSTRATING!!! In any case, I found a website with a "vintage patterns cheat sheet" to help with assigning decades to the undated patterns.

Scanning the envelopes of these patterns is the beginning part of an organizing system I'm plotting. I plan to acquire a large file cabinet (for free...if you know of one, hook me up!!). I'll file the patterns by brand and then by number (like at the store), but then I'll print out my scanned pictures of the fronts and backs and assemble them in plastic page protectors in binders (by brand). For each binder, I plan to eventually make an index, listing all the patterns according to what garment piece it is. It would be awesome if I could add listings by fabric yardage and type, too, but that might just push this into the ****Impossible Project**** category.

So, by sharing these with everyone, I get my patterns fronts and backs scanned, and I get to examine each of them a little more closely and imagine what sorts of wonderful fabrics I could use for each of them.

This is Vogue 7929, in a size 14. It's only for the blouse.


This blouse has big poofy sleeves with a three-button cuff. It also is fitted AND long!! It does have three collar variations, none of which I'm in love with. I probably would use a collar from another blouse for this.


A fitted blouse like this is good for a lot of shape types, but if you have a short torso, please shorten in the MIDDLE of the pattern, rather than just make it a couple of inches shorter at the hem. A shorter torso NEEDS that fitted shaping in the middle, and it's important to take the time to make it fit better.
If you use Swedish Tracing Paper (or some other interfacing-like pattern tracing paper), you can baste or pin the pattern pieces together to see where you'll need adjusting. Nancy Zieman has a great book out called Fitting Finesse for making patterns fit you, and she has such a simple technique!! I review this book here on the blog, so check that out. If you have any figure challenges like large bust or short torso, it's worth the investment! The way NZ explains things, a beginner could easily follow her instructions.

Another great thing about this blouse is the slightly fluffy sleeves....which are WONDERFUL for those of us with slightly fluffy upper arms.


Here's another gem of a pattern: again, from the 60s; knickers, trousers, skirt and jacket in a size 14.

It goes without saying that this jacket is great for most people. I would be careful of the length, tho, because the drawing shows the jacket hitting just the tiniest bit high for people who might have hips. Another place the Swedish Tracing Paper comes in. Trace, fit, adjust, THEN cut out your fabric.



The skirt and trousers are useful as wardrobe builders but are nothing special. I wouldn't buy the pattern just for those. ****BUT THE KNICKERS!!!!**** Those knickers are GREAT!! I remember wearing knickers back in the 80's with  fancy trouser socks and leather ballet flats. Mine were camel colored with all-over perforations and a tie at the toe, and my knickers (mom-made, at that!) were camel wide-wale cord. I LOVED them. I paired my knickers with a white blouse with a wide Amish collar like the one above. (see where I'm going with this? It's my 10th grade outfit!!)

For the more modern knicker look, though, I saw them last fall with a swing jacket and riding boots. ADORABLE!!! even cuter than my 10th grade look!! These knickers have such potential!








I love this jacket and think it's perfect for these pants. I saw this at Kohl's earlier in the spring and took a pic because I'm sure I can make it.

In order to not look like you need a flashing light and a wide-load sign on your backside, make sure your knickers ARE FITTED with darts and a waistband, not pleated, and your jacket or un-tucked blouse just skims your hip bone. NO shorter!! How cute would those be with a belted tunic?? I also think the origami blouse would be super, too. Now, I want to make some knickers! How handy that this pattern is in my size?




Check out the back of this!! You can see how easily it's made. It's just a raglan sleeve!! The bodice has curved panels and the "belt" is encased elastic sewn into the bodice seams. Easy-peasy! Nothing fancy at the hem or sleeves, at all!




Ok...my tips in a nutshell:
**short torso: adjust the MIDDLE of the pattern to fit your waist, not from the bottom hem.
**use Swedish tracing paper (rather than the tissue paper pattern) to make your pattern fit you. You can baste this stuff
**If you have a big ass or hips or thighs, don't wear pleats.
**If you have a big ass or hips or thighs, your top or jacket needs to *just* skim the hip bones.

That's all!! Happy sewing!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails