These are some CRAZY pictures...I took them late at night and I *thought* they were ok....oops!!
Anyway, our family has needed new stockings for years. There were only three matching stockings, for the girls, and Doug, the boys, and I were limping along with a hodge-podge of various sizes and conditions of old polyesther Christmas stockings.
In my never-ending quest to use up all of my wool scraps, I sewed a huge patchwork panel using the featherstitch on my machine. I steamed and ironed the panel flat, then cut out the fronts of the stocking. I used a brocade for the back, and some velvet scraps for the binding. I also had a bunch of this red satin cord lying about, and I used that to make loops for hanging.
The evil and contrary brocade...ick.
I embroidered everyone's names on smaller scraps and blanket-stitched those to the stockings.
The pattern I used for the stocking shape came from a set of two patterns by Viking. They are actually drafted by Kwik Sew and are from the 70s. They are TOTALLY cool. I changed the stocking to have more volume at the heel, and to add a bit of an arch, but the pattern was a good jumping-off point. My pattern envelope looks better than that, of course.
The second one is pretty cool, too, and I've used the patterns for all sorts of things, including embroidery, but haven't made any of the actual projects.
I really recommend having these for any Christmas crafting, as they drawings and patterns are simple and well done, a hallmark of all Kwik Sew patterns, in my opinion. They're old, but they are out there and available. I've seen them on eBay for a $3.
I'd love to have a go at those stuffed felt ornaments one year!!!