2/14/08

Happy Valentine's Day, 2008

I love any occasion to exchange gifts and celebrate. WOOT!!! Today is the marytred St. Valentine's Feast day (I love a FEAST DAY!)

Wikipedia says this

"English eighteenth-century antiquarians Alban Butler and Francis Douce, noting the obscurity of Saint Valentine's identity, suggested Valentine's Day was created as an attempt to supersede the pagan holiday of Lupercalia. This idea has lately been contested by Professor Jack Oruch of the University of Kansas. Many of the current legends that characterise Saint Valentine were invented in the fourteenth century in England, notably by Geoffrey Chaucer and his circle, when the feast day of February 14 first became associated with romantic love.[8]"

So anyway, perhaps it ISN'T a "hallmark holiday" as so many party-poopers suggest....Anyhow, who cares? Open a bottle of wine, eat a great meal, make love and CELEBRATE. :)

I'm Grumpy....deep, sad thoughts
Maybe people are ALWAYS like this and I just periodically take offense, rather than be offended ALL the time. I don't know, but my fellow humans hurt me. They REALLY make me sad.

I am Christian, I was brought up Christian and have read/studied the Bible most of my adult life. I know most of the people in my life are Christian, and those who aren't tend to have faiths in which the treatment of fellow human beings is essentially the same.

Having said that, I think most people are MEAN! I feel like so many people in my life are SO vengeful and judgmental and it worries me. WHY are humans worried about the punishments for those who do "wrong"? WHY are they deciding what "wrong" is for everyone else?
What I got out of the Bible is that you are to live your life in as Godly a fashion as possible, lead by example, and let God do all the judging and punishing. I feel that so many of my fellow citizens are so caught up in keeping everyone else from doing "wrong" that they aren't monitoring themselves. I hate it when this catches my attention because it really does make me feel so very sad. I don't know what to do about it, either, other than to pray and continue to set as good as example as I am capable of.

Why can't all people love and accept, without judging, blaming, punishing or otherwise controlling their fellow human beings? Maybe that's where MY lesson is, to love and accept those people instead of being so offended by what I feel is mean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails