8/15/11

A Monday Recipe: Phat Beets

The late edition! Phat Beets! YUMMY!


About 11 days ago, I whipped up these Phat Beets. I tasted them today, although I'm supposed to wait 2 weeks. They are still just a bit TOO strong, but very tasty!! And, aren't they beautiful??



I used Martha Stewart's recipe and followed it exactly *except* for that I used half-pint jars rather than pint.


  • 4 1/2 pounds large red beets, greens removed and washed
  • 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced crosswise into 12 1/8-inch thick rounds
  • 6 sprigs fresh rosemary (3 inches each)
  • 1/2 pound Spanish onions, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 1 tablespoon whole allspice
  • 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long)
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 4 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup light-brown sugar

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beets and cook until easily pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Drain beets and place under cool running water. When beets have cooled, remove skins and cut beets in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
  2. Place 6 clean 1-pint jars right side up on a rack in a boiling-water canner. Fill the canner and jars with hot water, about 1-inch above the tops of jars. Boil jars over high heat for 10 minutes. Remove and drain hot sterilized jars one at a time, reserving hot water for processing filled jars. Place jars on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. In another large pot filled with water, bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to a simmer; add cleaned lids and lid rings. Simmer lids for 10 minutes; do not boil, as this may cause problems in sealing jars. Drain lids and set aside.
  4. Fill each jar with 2 pieces of ginger and 1 sprig rosemary. In a large bowl, mix together onions and beets. Pack each jar with onion and beet mixture up to within 1/2 inch below the rim of the jar.
  5. Place allspice, cinnamon stick, and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; tie cheesecloth with kitchen twine to enclose. Place in a large saucepan along with cider vinegar, 2 cups water, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let mixture simmer about 10 minutes.
  6. Immediately pour hot vinegar mixture over the beet mixture in each jar. Put lids and rings on jars and tighten; do not over-tighten. Reheat water in the canner until it reaches at least 180 degrees, within 10 minutes of filling the jars. Place filled jars into the canner one at a time, using a jar lifter that is securely positioned below the neck of the jar. Keep jars upright at all times.
  7. Add more boiling water, if needed, so that water covers jars by at least 1 inch. Increase heat to high and cover. Once water begins boiling, heat jars for 7 minutes. Turn off heat and gently transfer jars to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, taking care not to tilt jars and spacing each jar at least 1 inch apart. Avoid placing jars on a cold surface or near a cold draft.
  8. Let jars sit undisturbed until fully cooled, 12 to 24 hours. Do not tighten ring bands on the lids or push down on the center of the flat metal lid until jar has cooled completely.
  9. Once jars have cooled completely, test to make sure each jar is completely sealed. Press down on the middle of the lid with a finger. If lid springs up when finger is released, the jar is unsealed. Store sealed jars in a cool place for at least 2 and up to 4 weeks to allow flavors to thoroughly combine. If any of the jars are unsealed, store in the refrigerator and used within several days.


Look how pretty!!!



Here's why my post was a bit tardy today: 2 qts yogurt, 1 qt syrup, 8 half-pints red pepper jelly, a batch of these yummy garlic rolls. Those rolls are really rich, so I served them with spaghetti squash with marinara..very simple.

I went grocery shopping first thing this morning, and I've got these peaches ripening for pie filling. I've also got some cherries for pie filling, too! I can't wait! I need to pick up a cherry pitter, tho. I have my eye on the one that does multiple cherries at Sur la Table, but I'm not sure if our local one carries it. I'll find out tomorrow!  We'll also pick up some Clear-jell while we're out. I hope they have it at Kroger.

The boys and I sliced up fruit (apples, bananas, pears) to dehydrate

I made a big pot of Weight Watchers soup. I try to have this at both lunch and dinner, plus the regular food. It's a good way to get plenty of vegetables. We also have a "fresh fruit at every meal" rule, too.


and made two loaves of bread...we had nothing. Since we'd been out of town for two weeks, there were none of the usual things we eat every day, so I was scrambling a bit. I did manage to get the oatmeal cooked last night, and William was so excited he asked if we could take a big pot of it to school to share with his friends. "It's so yummy!", he said! The boy loves his steel cut oats.


My friend had this awesome book at her house, and I read it cover to cover when I was visiting, then ordered a copy for myself from Powell's. It's got some great recipe ideas for EVERY imaginable vegetable, including several for fennel, my new love.

Here's the isbn, in case you want one, too.

That's all folks! Try the beets! They're easy to make and super yummy! I can't wait to serve some at my next party!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails