4/11/11

A Monday Recipe: Chocolate Banana Muffins




These are our new favorite muffin: I've made them every week since I saw the recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread over at Evil Shenanigans. Unbelievably good! These stay moist and delicious for 4 or 5 days at room temp in a ziplock.

Here's her recipe, for banana bread. I recommend you check it out on her blog for further instructions. She has PICTURES!!

Chocolate Banana Bread        Serves 8-12
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 egg yolk
3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup very strong coffee, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
Heat the oven to 350 F and prepare 1 10-inch loaf pan (or 6 mini-loaf pans) with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl cream together the sugar and oil until smooth.  The mixture will be slightly crumbly.  Add in the eggs and egg yolk and mix until lighter in color, about three minutes.Add the mashed banana and stir to combine.  Sift the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into the bowl and mix until most of the dry ingredients are moist.  Stir in the coffee and vanilla and mix until all the dry ingredients are moist. The batter will have some small lumps..

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 45 to 55 minutes for a single loaf, 35 to 45 for smaller loafs, or until the center springs back when gently pressed.   Cool for thirty minutes in the pan before turning out on a rack to cool completely.

I used muffin tins, with  paper liners. This batter recipe made about 20 muffins, and take between 20-25 minutes. Test for doneness, of course.


If you haven't been over to Evil Shenanigans, check it out. Kelly is another Dallas-ite and this is the second of her recipes I've featured.  I'm reasonably certain she's a genius. AND, her first cookbook, Everything Pie, is coming out in Sept this year! I'm pretty excited! Go check her out!!

Weight Watchers Points Plus for this recipe yielding 20 muffins is 5pts per muffin. Not too shabby!

1 comment:

Helen said...

OMGosh, why did I click? I don't need more calories in my life & I'm pretty sure I HAVE to make those now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails