10/31/11

A Monday Recipe: Yankee Living In Dallas Gumbo

All wrong! But, it's SO GOOD!!!

My sister brought me two huge bags of okra she had frozen from her garden, so I went in search of an okra recipe that would work for our house. As usual, I got a lot of ideas, but no specific recipe. No matter. I made my own and it was FANTASTIC!!! I'm gonna make it again THIS week! I may have mentioned that I usually make a big batch of some kind of soup at the beginning of each week to have every day for my lunches. I do like them to be packed with veggies and have a good savory broth. This would be fantastic with greens added to it, too.

A word about smoked paprika. ok, lots of words. OMG!! it smells like bacon and barbecue sauce all rolled into one! Where has this been all of my life? I've seen it in recipes and just used regular paprika instead. What the heck was wrong with me??? Smoked paprika is THE BEST SPICE ON THE PLANET. really.




Gumbo (makes 8 servings)

1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced (you can use a whole one, I didn't have a whole one)
2 cloves of garlic
3 c cooked frozen sliced okra, you can also use 3 cups fresh.
8 oz canned stewed tomatoes, mine were home canned, w/ zucchini.
15 oz canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
1/2 c celery, diced
2 tsp paprika, SMOKED paprika, not regular (you can use more if you like it...it's SO good!)
3 c vegetable broth, or 3c water plus bouillon powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder, american or mexican mild chili powder (not Indian!
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp table salt, to taste
1 tsp black pepper, to taste


Spray heavy pot with cooking spray. On medium high, saute onion for 3 minutes, then add celery, peppers, and garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes. Perfect for the crock pot. Serve over rice, or eat alone. I had mine over basmati because I had some left over from another dish earlier in the week. Enjoy! 

Weight Watchers 2 points plus per 1c serving, if you track on WW.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails