7/18/11

A Monday Recipe: Colorado Peach Cream Pie


This is the year of the pie.



I was as tired of muffins/quick breads as you all were, I'm sure, so the next couple of Monday Recipe posts will be PIE!! Glorious PIE!!

This delight is Colorado Peach Cream Pie (no author listed). It's a pie with a simple crust, and fresh peaches baked in a fresh light custard, plus a bit of streusel topping. oh, so good!!

Here's the recipe. Remember to read thru before beginning, because I usually change SOMETHING. and, sometimes the original recipe has incomplete ingredients or instructions.


Colorado Peach Cream Pie


Crust:
1/2c butter
1/2t salt
1 1/2c flour

Filling:
4c fresh sliced peaches
1c sugar, divided.
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla
2T flour
1/4t salt
1c sour cream
(1/2t nutmeg)

Topping:
1/3c sugar
1/4c butter
1/3c flour
1t vanilla
(1/2t cinnamon)

Prepare your peaches by peeling and slicing, discard the pits. If I'm peeling peaches that are to be cooked, I'll blanch them to make them easier to peel.

Crust :original instructions
Cut butter into flour and salt. Press into a 9 inch pie pan.
(Ok, this sounded like a weird doughy crust for a pie with a creamy heavy filling. I used the ingredient amounts listed, and added 3T ice water to form regular pie crust dough, and rolled it out)


I always cut my butter into cubes before making crust.

Add the ice water.

I really *wanted* to follow the original recipe, but I didn't want to hate my pie. In retrospect, for a better crust (this one was too flour-y) I would have gone with my favorite crust recipe instead.


I prebaked the crust on 350 for about 15 minutes.




Back to the original instructions:
Filling: Slice peaches into a bowl, sprinkle with 1/4c sugar.  Let set while preparing the rest of the filling. Combine 3/4c sugar, flour, egg, salt, and vanilla.(add the nutmeg here) Fold in the sour cream. Combine with the peach mixture and pour into the cooled crust.






There are no instructions for the topping, but I cut the butter into cubes (surprise!) then cut it all together until it was in big crumbs. There are instructions as to when to add it to the top, tho, so read on!
 ****BAKING INSTRUCTIONS***
Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 for 20 minutes. Remove, add the topping, increase heat to 400F and bake 10 more minutes.

I had to cook it about 15 more minutes to get the pie to set, so keep an eye on it after you add the crumb topping.


Let cool about 15 minutes, at least, before cutting.

I probably didn't wait long enough to get this first piece, but YUM!!!  Cover and store in the refrigerator. My second piece came out of the pie plate perfectly!

The custard part is very light, because it only has the one egg. It's not as sweet as I would have expected, but part of that may have been my peaches, as they weren't quite as sweet as I would hope. The crust was fine, and I'm REALLY glad I added nutmeg and cinnamon. I think without it, it would have been very bland, especially since it's not very sweet. All in all, a great fresh-tasting summer pie!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails