6/20/11

A Monday Recipe: Country Cheese Spoon Bread



So, this recipe in my Amish cookbook intrigued me. I had heard of spoon breads, but only heard them mentioned, not described. I sort of assumed it was cornbread with cheese and corn in it, or something. As I was making it though, it was apparent that this is not the case. It's could be considered a cornmeal and cheese souffle, the way it's constructed. The batter is very light. I'm certain I wouldn't serve this as a "bread" with a meal, but more as the entree, with a crisp salad.
And, unless baking powder has gluten in it, this is GLUTEN FREE!



Country Cheese Spoon Bread
by Mrs. Alvin Wayne Yoder

3c milk
1c corn meal
dash salt
1c cheese (grated)
3 eggs, separated
2t onion (powder? I used garlic)
1t baking powder
dash pepper


Preheat oven to 350, grease pan (cornbread size? 9X9, the author doesn't suggest a size)
Combine milk, cornmeal, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil and stir. (I boiled about 4 minutes). Add cheese. Stir in egg yolks, onion, baking powder, and pepper. (I removed from heat at this point). Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into (cornmeal) mixture, then pour into a greased casserole. Bake at 350 for 1hr. Serve immediately.


MMM! This is soothing and yummy, and it got my mind working on some ideas to make it have a little more pizzazz! My first spoon bread!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails