5/30/11

A Monday Recipe: Honey Oatmeal Muffins


I've been so inspired by the incessant showing of Julie and Julia on Starz lately that I've decided to feature the baked goods section of my Amish cook book. I'm not going to do EVERY recipe, because it's one of those fund-raising cookbooks where everyone submits their favorites recipes leading to many repetitions or only slight variations of popular recipes. So, to spare you and I the monotony of doing every recipe, I vow to do only MOST recipes.


First up, the Honey Oatmeal Muffins (called Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins in my book)
What I like about these is the simplicity of the ingredients, and that they're not a sweet dessert muffins. These can easily be the hot bread with your favorite soup. They're a good, hearty, plain muffin. I'll share the recipe as written and put my changes in parenthesis.

Honey Oatmeal Muffins. 12 standard-sized muffins.

1c. buttermilk (1c milk w 2T apple cider vinegar)
1c. rolled oats
1 egg
1c. whole wheat flour
1/2t salt
1t baking soda
1/3c oil
1/4c warm honey (1/2c honey...not warmed?)

Preheat oven to 425. Grease muffin tins.
Add oatmeal to large bowl, pour milk (or milk/vinegar) over oats and let sit for 30. Beat in the egg, then add honey. Mix well. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Stir into the oats mixture, then add the oil, stirring only until combined. Fill muffin tins. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in muffin pan before removing. Serve hot.

NOTE: the greased muffin pan works best for creating the slightly crunchy crust these need. They were too soft in muffin papers, and WAY to soft in silicone baking cups.


mmm, hot and yummy!
5 PointsPlus on Weight Watchers if you use fat free milk (recipe is shared on WW, too)


These would be great with refreshing summer salad, too! The last time I made these, the boys ate them all at snack time. Yep, that's right. The whole dozen. For a SNACK!!! Seriously folks, I fear for food budget when these two get bigger.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails